Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor
SOLICITUD DE ETA (PARA PODER ENTRAR A CANADÁ)
A border services officer at the port of entry in Canada will determine how long you can stay in Canada. Most visitors are allowed a six-month stay from the day they entered Canada. If the officer authorizes a stay of less than six months (6 MESES), they will indicate in your passport the date by which you must leave Canada.
If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay.
- extend your visitor, student or work status,
- change your permit type (for example, from a study permit to a work permit) or
- change your permit condition(s) (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and you want to change jobs).
Find out how to extend your stay as a visitor.
If you apply to extend your permit, and your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status. This is known as implied status.
Working or studying in Canada
Most visitors to Canada cannot work or study in Canada without a permit.
If you are visiting Canada and you want to work or study, you have a few options if you still have legal status in Canada.
For a new work permit, you can apply:
- from your home country or another country where you are lawfully admitted. Follow the instructions on how to apply for a work permit, or
- in person or by mail at the Visa Application centre in New York.
For a new study permit, you can apply:
- from your home country or another country where you are lawfully admitted. Follow the instructions on how to apply for a study permit, or
- in person or by mail at the Visa Application Centre in Los Angeles.
You may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when applying for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. Find out if you need to give your biometrics.
If you need to give your biometrics with your Temporary Resident Visa, Work Permit, or Study Permit application, you have to go in person to the Visa Application Centre (VAC). DO NOT submit your application by mail. The VAC will collect your biometrics at the same time you submit your application.
In some cases, you are allowed to work or study without a permit. For more information, see:
Getting a visitor visa from within Canada
If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with a valid status (i.e. study or work permit), you can apply for a new visitor visa to return to Canada before you leave.
Becoming a permanent resident of Canada
To stay in Canada as a permanent resident, you must leave the country and apply from outside Canada, except in the special cases listed below. To become a permanent resident, you must meet Canada’s immigration requirements.
You can apply to become a permanent resident from inside Canada if you:
- are a refugee or a protected person,
- are a spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- are a live-in caregiver,
- hold a valid temporary residence permit or
- are applying under the Canadian Experience Class.
Find more information about becoming a permanent resident.
1. Determine how you will apply
2. Get the application package
3. Pay your application fees
4. Submit your application
You can find information on how long it will take to process your application.
If you submitted your application to an office outside Canada, please note that the Call Centre does not have information about your application.
LISTADO DE TRABAJOS QUE NO NECESITAN PERMISO EN CANADÁ